Facebook Instagram Bloglovin' Image Map

13 Different Types of Addition and Subtraction Problems?!

I teach at a school with an accelerated curriculum.  This provides me with the challenge to cover kindergarten and first grade math standards in kindergarten.  Wowza!  It is tough to squeeze in so much math in one short year; every minute matters during the math block.

As I was looking through the first grade math standards, I noticed the math program we use (Saxon Math) does not quite cover all of the different types of word problems the kids must learn in kinder and first grade math.  So, I have been beating my head against the wall trying to finish an activity where my students could work through all thirteen different types of problems, while ensuring the learning would be meaningful and worthwhile. 

Now, I am VERY lucky in the fact that my students LOVE to participate in class this year.  When I ask a question in class, most of the time about half the class has a hand in the air.  They are willing to take chances, and aren't discouraged when they don't have the correct answer.  Like I said, I am lucky.  Even though I have an amazing class, I wanted them to be able to write down their thinking, and I wanted to show parents the amazing skills they were learning in math (because I didn't learn this stuff in kindergarten).

I formatted the file so the kids would have a journal sheet to show their work and their thinking.  I also made the file so the pages could be printed two to a page in order to save paper.  That way, if you wanted to complete one problem per day, you could make one copy per week (Monday through Thursday... because, let's face it, we don't always get to everything we plan for each day).



There is a page to post on your calendar wall (if you choose to work on it that way).


The same problem is on the journal page.  Note the same border for a particular type of word problem.  So, since there are 13 different types of word problems, there are 13 different borders.  That way, you can see what type of word problem it is just by looking at the border.


If you are interested in taking a look, check it out in my Teachers Pay Teachers store.


3 comments :

  1. I love how you "border-coded" the different types of problems for easy reference - so smart!
    This looks like a wonderful resource!
    xo Pam
    Hedgehog Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of the problem of the day. What a great idea to coordinate all the pages so kids have that great visual cue.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the idea of the problem of the day. What a great idea to coordinate all the pages so kids have that great visual cue.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete