Facebook Instagram Bloglovin' Image Map

Candy Math

Halloween is quickly approaching, and I love engaging my students with things that are surrounding them.  Candy is something that is on many students' minds during October, and quickly following Halloween.  To help make this easier I spend a whole week using candy for math!!

Candy math to help keep students engaged the week after Halloween

I have each student bring in 10 pieces of candy on Monday, and then we spend the first day sorting our own candy and making predictions.  We spend a lot of time figuring out the different kinds of candy we have, and figuring out our class favorites.  From there we sort it, and make graphs of the top ten candies we have.


To help expand past the math part of the day, I am bringing some science into my candy lessons! I am excited to see what kinds of towers my kids are going to build this year, and what types of candy they think will work best.  I plan on doing these activities for a full week, and letting them enjoy their candy at the end of the week. 


Last year my students had a lot of fun figuring out what kind of candy they liked best, and what the favorite candy of the class was.  I can't wait to see what this year's class likes best!!


You can find my candy math here and keep your kids engaged after Halloween!!


2 comments :

  1. Wow, talk about engaging! I love this - and I KNOW your kids do too!
    xo Pam
    Hedgehog Reader

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea! Perfect for October when all the stores have Halloween candy out.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete