Facebook Instagram Bloglovin' Image Map

Veterans Day Activities

November has arrived... and I think we all can agree that this is the first official start of the holiday season! From now until December, teachers everywhere will be attempting to fit holiday themes into their teaching including Thanksgiving, Winter, and holidays around the world... and it's tough to fit it all in! However, I will be kicking off the month of November by teaching about a holiday that is often overlooked amidst all the hubbub of the last two months of the year: Veterans Day!

I usually don't have more than a day or two to devote to teaching my students about Veterans Day, so in the past, I've tried to find quick, low-prep activities that are still engaging for my students to learn about this important day.

The easiest place to start is by finding some great books that tell the history of Veterans Day in kid-friendly language. Here are some fantastic books to start your collection:


My two favorites pictured above are H is for Honor and the Rookie Read About Holidays: Veterans Day

Videos are also a great way to get students interested in new topics. I found this great little video on Youtube that tells about Veterans Day in a way that young students will understand. I'll definitely be showing this one to my first graders this year!

 
I also love implementing fun little songs and creating movements to go along with them. My students love them and end up singing them all day long! I sang this adorable song last year, courtesy of this freebie from First Grade Wow! I wanted my students to have access to a version that they would be able to use and read themselves, so I added a little Melonheadz clipart and turned it into a poster that the kids could refer to. Love it! 
 
 
After researching facts about Veterans Day together, we usually do a fun little activity together. I used this coloring sheet with my kindergarten kiddos last year and had a sentence for them to trace and tell about the meaning of the holiday.
 
 
We also made a Veterans Day hat with three badges on it to tell about the importance of the day.



You can download the hat for FREE by clicking on the picture below!

 photo veterans day link pic_zpsn3hcfdoa.png

Be sure to check back on the blog all month long for more freebies, resources, and teaching ideas for November's theme: Sensational Science and Social Studies from all of your favorite Hello Sunshine bloggers!


7 comments :

  1. Such a cute idea for Veterans Day. Kids love making and wearing hats. This is a wonderful way to teach young kids about our veterans.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute idea for Veterans Day. Kids love making and wearing hats. This is a wonderful way to teach young kids about our veterans.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really loved reading your blog. I also found
    your posts very interesting. In fact after reading, I had to go show it to my
    friend and he ejoyed it as well!

    Happy Veterans Day Meme 2018
    veterans day meme



    Happy Veterans Day Quotes | Awesome Veterans Day Quotes
    veterans day Quotes


    Veterans Day VS Memorial Day

    Veterans Day VS Memorial Day


    Happy veterans day images
    veterans day images

    great and best veterans day poems

    veterans day poems

    ReplyDelete