Facebook Instagram Bloglovin' Image Map

Naked Egg Experiment

Hello! This is my very first post for Hello Sunshine!  My name is Maribel and I blog over at Learning in Wonderland.
For those of you that don't know me, I am a first grade teacher from Arizona.  I have been teaching for nine years.  I love teaching and love sharing our adventures in the classroom via my blog and Instagram.  I am so excited to join this talented team of Arizona bloggers and join my fellow Sunshine girls!
Today I'm going to share one of my favorite science experiments I've done with my class.  My students were so excited to see the results and so was I.

This experiment was to find how eggs change in different liquids.

We left one egg inside water, another inside Coke, and another one in vinegar. 

We then left the eggs inside of the liquids for a day.   The main purpose was to see what vinegar did. 

 We made predictions and the kids were sure that the only one that would change was the one left in Coke.

That is until one of the eggs hit the vinegar.  It instantly started to fizz and this is what it looked like after a few minutes.  It was weird how the eggshell began to dissolve immediately.

After about 5 minutes, the top layer of the shell had dissolved and even the logo lifted to the top.

The next day the shell had dissolved completely.  The egg was soft and squishy at that point and the only thing holding it together was the egg membrane.  
The kids loved touching the "naked" egg.  

The egg left in Coke turned brown and made me question every Coke I ever drank.  The one left in water didn't change at all.

It was such a fun and easy way to infuse science into our day.

Have you ever tried this experiment? Is there anything else I could try this with that will give us some fun results?  Please share below :-) 



3 comments :

  1. Hi Maribel! I was so excited when I read this post because I saw an awesome addition to this experiment this summer. We were learning about osmosis and put the "naked" eggs in water and one in corn syrup. One puffs up with water and the other shrivels up. It's amazing. The most amazing part? You can switch the eggs and the process reverses. So cool! Here is a link to a similar experiment I found online :) https://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking/eggs/activity-nakedexperiment.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! I will give this a try this year! Thank you so much for sharing this link :-)

      Delete
  2. Kids love science. This egg experiment sounds like a bit hit.
    P.S. Welcome to Hello Sunshine!

    Debbie Crockett

    ReplyDelete